Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My political rant for the week

So this week, we hear that Barack Obama is an 'Elitist' based on a choppy sound byte pulled from a fundraiser. Am I surprised that Clinton and even McCain are taking these things and using them for attempted political gains? No. Do I think it is hysterical now watching Clinton throw back a beer and sip on a shot and tell stories about learning how to shoot a gun? No.

What surprises me is how the political pundits and the media take these things and twist them for ratings and shock value. All I have heard for 3 days is Obama an 'Elitist'? My favorite quote, he's a "latte drinking, Volvo driving...". Since when is this a 'bad' thing? Isn't the PERSON, not guy, running our country supposed to be better than the rest of us? Seriously, I realize we are coming out of 8 years of a guy who can't string 2 sentences together, but shouldn't that be the exception to the rule? Don't we want the best and the brightest to lead us? Doesn't it make sense that he/she would be educated at the best schools, be fairly well off, articulate and worldly. Should we be surprised that they aren't 'in touch' with steel workers and manual laborers. There is NOTHING wrong with this, they don't work in a vacuum, that's why they have advisers and staff.

Anyway, this political season is turning into a sound byte, commercial fight that only benefits the networks as they scramble for viewers trying to turn the 2008 Presidential Campaign into Big Brother 10.

3 comments:

Sherry Heyl said...

But it is a good thing that many people (unfortunately not most people) no longer get their opinions from the media. The Internet now can capture and distribute the whole story. When I saw that horrendous video accusing Obama of not being patriotic I was able to look at all the little clips, and then turn to Google to get "the rest of the story."

Now my goal - if I can find the time, is to seek those who are publishing misleading information and commenting with links to the whole story. I met a wonderful woman recently who actually has a mailing list of 3500 people that she call her rapid response team. She will email them links to commentary that is inaccurate and they go as a mob group clarifying the story. I do believe there may be hope in breaking free from the sensationalism of the media.

markopat said...

I think it would be refreshing if we had a real business man or woman win the presidency. I am sick and tired of politicians...

Liars, cheaters, say what ever they need to say to get elected. Smooth talkers...bullshitters...damn. The sad part of your commentary to me Gil, is that the general public falls for all this bullshit.

Regardless of who wins this next election, it will be a long 4 years.

Marky P.

Ilene Wolchock said...

Thought I would validate the fact that you have 3 readers on your blog and post a comment! Love you darling!

Ilene