Tuesday, November 25, 2008

DisneyWorld - two different perspectives (the economy and sports)

We just got back from a very quick trip to Disney. In fact, most people were surprised to here that we were going down Friday night, doing only TWO days and headed back Monday. Well, it is what it is. First, it was pretty last minute and we are already taking nearly TWO weeks at the end of December for the holidays. Second, with the girls 8 and 6 they really only wanted to do the Magic Kingdom. Third, this is already their THIRD trip to Disney so it was not the 'once in a lifetime deal'. I guess I am bit spoiled when it comes to Disney in that we went several times a year as a kid and even going to the University of Florida it was a short ride in college so going there was not a major deal. However, I am a Disney guy. I really love it. I am always impressed with the STAFF everywhere and the unique ways in which they market themselves. I am NOT a Disney cult person with the pins and clothes, I just appreciate it for what it is and given the world today and MY world today it was a great SHORT escape and a good reminder that 'When you wish upon a star, dreams can really come true' - YOU just have to have the courage and dedication to make them happen.

So - the trip from TWO sort of different perspectives since anyone can find out how to 'tour the park' though I am an expert (you can ask for my FAST PASS strategy personally).

First, the economic angle! We stayed at Port Orleans (a moderate resort) and got a RIDICULOUS RATE. Let's just say we paid MOTEL 6 prices. We pulled in Friday afternoon and the parking lot was pretty empty, which surprised me given that it was Thanksgiving Week. On Saturday in the park it was downright EMPTY until about noon which says to me, not a lot of people were staying in the park like us. By the afternoon traffic picked up and Sunday was pretty crowded but still not the 60-75 minute long lines I expected. It may get more crowded as the week goes on but I definitely feel this is related to the economy. It was also the first time in a LONG time in Disney where I did not here a lot of foreign languages besides Spanish. Usually the park is full of Euro's...this surprised me. Lastly, I LOVED only having to spend a total of $90 round trip on GAS in the minivan. We are talking just over 900 miles so that was great.

Ok, onto the sports. You know me, I watch people and I like to observe, and well, I am drawn to sports.

Here is what I noticed Saturday:
1. tons of folks in college gear
2. Florida Gators stuff most prevalent and that is not being biased (I promise)
3. Ohio State #2 - I give these people credit, they travel WELL to everything. I did love letting them see my Gatorwear. Let's be honest though, if you lived in OHIO you would want out too, right?
4. Very little Florida State stuff
5. Georgia items were close behind the Ohio State people

Sunday took a different turn:
1. I couldn't believe the number of NFL Jerseys people were wearing. At one point I thought I was going to a PATRIOT tailgate. Ok, I am not a HUGE jersey guy (the shirts not the State, plenty of love for the State). I certainly own my share and will break one out for a game sometimes, BUT, to wear around Disney...hmmmm...
2. All of a sudden the FSU gear broke out - I guess they were waiting to see if they would win at Maryland on Saturday before showing their school spirit?
3. Jean shorts are not a University of Florida thing - they are a fat guy from the north wearing it with his NFL Team jersey thing, and in general they either are over 45 or they have pony tails and are looking for a smoking area.

All in all it was a great trip!


Happy Thanksgiving all, count your blessings, there is SO MUCH to be thankful for!

1 comment:

mrotzie said...

I own pictures of you in jean shorts. Don't make me prove it.