Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Sex Talk

I don't remember getting 'the talk', honestly, I am racking my brain and it's just not up there. I do remember coming home from the first date where I was allowed to drive and the conversation with Art that ensued (and I won't share that with the public - LOL) and I remember the first time I was allowed to have a girl stay over in my room (still shocks me that happened) but I don't remember being between the ages of 8 and 13 and getting the 'talk'. Sure there was the OFFICIAL Health Class in school and the UNOFFICIAL Health Class in the bathrooms, playgrounds and friends rooms of my youth but not the BIG ONE.

Over the weekend my 8 and 1/2 year old daughter got the 'Big One' but I look back and realize that it is merely a progression on Big One's, but it was a BIG ONE nonetheless. For better or worse (and I am reserving judgement at this point) I missed it. I certainly got the 'blow by blow' details (read into that as you like - ROFLMAO) and it seems like Cydney 'got it' and handled it very maturely but there were at least TWO 'gotchas' for me coming out of it.

You may be wondering...is 8 too early here Gil? I was wondering the same thing. However, she was beginning to ask --- things like "What do you eat to become pregnant?" and they see an awful lot more on TV then we did. Most importantly, you have NO IDEA what other kids are putting into your kids' head. I know that at least two or three of her friends have concepts of boyfriends and kissing so we thought it was best to 'cut it off at the pass'. Additionally I felt much better after sitting down with friends over the weekend who just had the same conversation with their eight year old as well, albeit they are in the fast paced world of South Florida and we are here in the 'sticks' in Atlanta :-)

Fortunately the conversation was not off the cuff and Ilene armed herself with a book and research. From what I understand 'we' stayed with the basics and got through it quite admirably. Cydney understands (at least she tells us so) that this was a PRIVATE conversation and that she is to not share it with friends or her YOUNGER SISTER. In fact, I think she took it so privately that she isn't sharing it with me yet!

So, for the funny stuff, as you know if I am not going to get weepy then I will get funny:

In one illustration it shows a man and a woman together in bed, in an embrace. Very PG in detail, lots of good blanket coverage. Cydney takes in the picture and asks her mother, "Does the man always have to be on top?". Funny, I don't think I heard what the answer was...

Second, Ilene reinforced the concept of this is a mature thing and you will be waiting a LONG time but we want you to understand...so she tells Cydney that "You should wait until you are married before having sex" to which Cydney replied, "Mommy, you said SHOULD, so that means I CAN, but you wouldn't be happy right?".

OH F*CKING MY AM I IN TROUBLE!

Someone please pass a big bottle of Jack and a loaded weapon - LOL

On a side note, Cydney was also fascinated with the menstrual cycle and thinks it's "COOL".

I still don't know if she was ready, or more importantly if we were ready but I am pretty sure she will remember these talks long into the future, as opposed to her 'Old Man'


ILU VM

4 comments:

markopat said...

Wow...wait 30 days to post and BLAMMO! Taking up a collection for a real good bottle of Jack bro.

LOL

Mark

Anonymous said...

OMG - Think Ilene could have the talk with (my) Rachel next time we're in Atlanta? I don't think I'm old enough to do it myself! :)

Bart's Camille said...

oh God, that's priceless... love it! Morgan is almost 15 and I have to tell you, parenting a TEEN daughter is petrifying... so, laugh all you can now...

Bart's Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.