Friday, June 11, 2010

An All Sports Post - sorry to put you to sleep

Realignment, Probation, The Beautiful Game and a Run that was nearly complete...

Pretty amazing Spring for sports. Let's start with the last of those four up there because chronologically it came first. If you are not a fan of hockey you should at least become a fan of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Whether it was the first round and the early run by the Canadiens, or you are like me, a die hard Philly sports fan, there was a lot to enjoy about this run to the Cup. And if you are a Chicagoan then you are still celebrating a well deserved Cup victory. For me, the 4 weeks+ were magical. Watching the Flyers manhandle the higher seeded and hated New Jersey Devils was great. Moving on to Round 2 and taking care of the storied Montreal Canadiens seemed to be 'icing on the cake' for a team that squeaked into the playoffs but then the real magic happened. My Fly boys looked flat after 2 tough losses in the Conference Championship Series versus the Boston Bruins and then got blown out in game 3 to go down 3-0 in the Series. At that point I began to appreciate where 'we' had gotten to so unexpectedly, but at the same time hoping to at least steal a game to save face. What started as one game turned into two and then a third and before you knew it we were in Game 7 and on the verge of history. Game 7 in Boston was a daunting task and getting down 3-0 in the first period made it tougher but somehow this team did it the impossible. Like Rocky coming back against Apollo Creed in the original Rocky, only this time Rocky wins and we don't need that "rematch" (Go watch the movie). Like so many good stories this one ended just short of history as the Flyers lost in 6 to the Blackhawks for the Cup but this run will be remembered by me for years to come and it was more than the hockey. It was memories revived and old friendships brought alive again. As the Flyers snuck into the playoffs I sat in the basement of my oldest (as in time) friend. A friendship that began at summer camp at the age of 4, survived family changes, moves, college and life has been renewed and on that final day we watched the Flyers get 'in'. Ironically, one of my other 'camp' friends from that same time period also lives in New York and we met up for the first time in 33 years to watch what became the final game of the year. It was a bittersweet but felt great to reconnect with someone and see 33 years melt away.

With hockey out of the way, I can turn my attention to the World Cup. I don't profess to be a true lover of soccer/futbol but I certainly can enjoy the spectacle and marvel at the athleticism. The whole world can't be wrong, this really is a great sport and the World Cup is truly a grand event. Today marked just the beginning but I am excited to tune in as much as possible and cheer on the Red, White and Blue. For the record, I am taking the boys from SPAIN to win it all. I like the US getting out of their group and as I will be posting this the night before the Yank take on the Brits, I like us to upset them tomorrow as well, hey, I'm a HOMER!

Next up is college sports. What started as a quiet rumor turned into a giant inferno within the week. What am I talking about? Conference realignment and the birth of true 'Super Conferences'. Already we have seen Colorado jump to the Pac 10, which I guess gets a new name and Nebraska head to the Big 10 (which already had 11). Next dominoes to fall seem to be the complete disintegration of the Big 12 (though now the Big 10 is 12 so aren't they the Big 12?). While all this is big news I am wondering what the SEC will do. The biggest conference of them all has been relatively quiet. From the reports I am reading it looks like Texas and a couple of other Big 12 schools will jump to the Pac 10+ as well. This surprises me; call it East Coast bias but why do they want to jump two time zones away from TV coverage? In my mind the natural pull would be to bring Texas and Texas A&M into the SEC and make a truly SOUTHERN conference that stretches all the way across the Gulf States. For the SEC it also brings in two HUGE TV markets in Dallas and Houston as well. It would also mean the SEC would need to add two more teams to balance out the East with the West. I would think they could have their choice of Florida State, Miami, Clemson and Georgia Tech. This would truly create a mega conference. It would also create a near impossible run to undefeated seasons, but is that so wrong? It would make for great football and huge ratings week after week. I know it will never happen but I like the idea. I also like the idea of the Gators and Hurricanes renewing rivalries every year!

The other big news in college football was the announcement of USC getting hit hard with sanctions from the NCAA. Now there is a lot to debate here (why punish kids that were not a part of the problem) to gloating about things like karma (it's a BITCH isn't it Coach Kiffin?). What I am trying to figure out is what happened to schools losing the right to be on television for a period of time? In the 80's, when Florida was put on probation, along with losing scholarships and Bowl games, we also were not allowed to be shown on TV. Maybe, now that TV contracts have gotten so large this is no longer an option, but if you truly want to deal a Program a blow you take away the TV coverage. Why you might ask? College athletes today want to be on TV. They want to be seen. They want to be drafted and make a ton of money. If your School is not on TV, it really doesn't matter how many scholly's you have to offer, the best will not come! I'm not saying that USC should have gotten it in this case, I am just wondering if it is even still an option...

BONUS SPORTS NOTE - as I type this the Gator Baseball Team just beat the Miami Hurricanes in their opening game in a series that will determine who goes to the College World Series --- GO GATORS!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gil, I love you, but your chronology is incorrect about the Flyboyz playoff run. You know me; I have to correct stuff. Devils, Bruins, Canadiens, Hawks is the correct order. Sorry.