Friday, December 7, 2007

Good Grief

Ironically, these 2 words were the final words written by my good friend Jon Barkan on his blog, http://barkandawg.blogspot.com/index.html.

For Jon those two words were synonymous with Charlie Brown and he posted a cute XMas video to a Black Eyed Peas number. To me these words, good grief, will be how I try to go through the next few weeks without Jon. Last night, at age 39, Jon was taken from us way too early. He leaves behind a wife and 3 children, the youngest just 2 months old.

Jon was larger than life and I imagine that will continue even in death. I never saw Jon without a smile and kind words. He was passionate about his family, his friends and his community. He loved sports and his work. Most of all Jon loved being 'Dad' and that shined through in every conversation we had.

We just talked on Wednesday, e-mailed yesterday, and I left him a voicemail this morning. Today, the world stands still for those of us that loved Jon, but when it starts moving again we will continue to live, love, laugh and give knowing that Jon will always be with us and he truly made our worlds better for the brief time we had with him.

3 comments:

David Rubinger said...

Gil, beautifully said. I am sitting at my desk still stunned by the news. Jon and I shared passions for the Giants and Springsteen, and I will miss seeing him around Davis Academy. Let's all go home tonight, light the Chanukah and Shabbat candles, hug our children and take a moment to remember Jon.

manaque said...

I haven't seen Jon in five years, and I never knew him as a Dad (although he just HAD to be a fabulous one,) it is still shocking that he is gone. He had such a huge personality, an even bigger heart and he will be missed by many across the country. We are in Texas feeling his loss. From coast to coast,it is a sad day.

markopat said...

Gil,

So sorry to hear of your friend. keep working on the weight loss...I am doing the same.

Happy holidays and Peace!

Mark