Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Tribute fit for a legend

Yesterday we said goodbye to Jon Barkan. Lots of questions were asked, there were a ton of tears and so many good memories were shared. Besides the eulogies by 2 two rabbi's Jon was also remembered and honored by his good friend Seth Cohen and his father, Neil. Seth was amazing. As he stood in front of 1,200 plus people I have no idea where he went to summon the courage to deliver such a beautiful message. Later in the evening we talked and I knew every word was genuine and there was no one better to capture the moment. After Seth spoke Jon's Dad came up and read a 'letter to Jon' that just tore me up.

Ilene and I went to Jon's In-laws to pay our respects and attend the Minyan (Jewish prayer service). It was the first time I recited Kaddish (Jewish prayer for mourner's) for someone other than my father or grandmother. I never got past the first 2 words, it was just too hard.

As I think about it this morning I realize that time is a wonderful thing. Mourning, grieving and missing loved ones never gets 'easy' like some people think, but time does allow you to move on. My Dad passed August 7, 2001, just a few weeks before 9-11. Just like yesterday, I could not get past the first few words of Kaddish. Today, on Yom Kippur and on his Yarzheit I am able to pray and remember the past.

I know I will be able to get through Kaddish again. I know life moves on. I know Jon would want us to but now I do so with renewed vigor.

I spent hours yesterday afternoon pouring through Jon's old blogs. Technology is an amazing thing and it has left a beautiful trail of his life. Go back to some of those early posts on Jon and you really see the man.

Jon, thank you for being a part of my life. I love you and promise to continue on the path you have laid down.

No comments: