Monday, August 17, 2009

All things Tiger and Vick

First let me apologize to those of you that are not totally enamored with my sports posts, I realize this is three in a row and I owe you something more insightful soon :).

Tiger, Tiger, Tiger I am so glad you lost. Unlike the scores of people who were saying that yesterday and this morning for a myriad of ignorant and socially incorrect reasons I was glad to see that you were HUMAN! As you may know, I am a HUGE Tiger fan and of course I want him to win and make history, but yesterday there was something poetic in watching him be human and at the same time watching a relative unknown step up and perform under pressure. Today I have read about Tiger choking and even that his career is over. Journalism today has become so full of hyperbole and nonsense. It is what it is. Tiger is human, he suffers from the same frailties as us, how refreshing. Why go off the deep end and suggest his career is over? Phil Mickleson blows leads and tournaments on a regular basis, I have never heard word one that his career was over let along on the decline. I look forward to the day Tiger wins his 19th Major along with his 87th overall tournament (I think that's the record) but yesterday was a refreshing departure from the script.

Speaking of departing from the script, you have the Michael Vick 60 Minutes interview last night. I want so badly to still hate Mike. What he did was deplorable and the extent of the lying makes it even worse, but watching last night I believed him. I know I very well be naive and as one of my closest friends asked me, "Would you feel the same way if he wasn't going to play for your team?". I can't answer that question because he is. Someone also wanted me to compare it to Terrell Owens leaving Philly for Dallas and the fact that I despise T.O. to this day. I thought about the difference. I have no idea who either of these guys are as people though they have given us more than glimpses. What I can say is I think someone can learn from errors in judgement and poor societal moral choices. I don't think someone can change their internal make up and how they view others as human beings. Mike Vick committed atrocious acts, no doubt, but if is no longer doing those things and recognizes he can't isn't it over once he paid his penalty? Owens on the other hand continues in his selfish ways from city to city. He holds himself accountable to no one. Me personally, I'd rather go to battle with Mike, who has shown he can be a teammate, than T.O. who doesn't know what that word means.

America is a place built on second chances. I hope Vick not only gets his second chance but that he fulfills the promise of what a second chance means. If he does he might change the way we look at athletes. If he doesn't then he goes into the pile with the rest of the liars.

No comments: