Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Case to make Michael Vick an EAGLE

Yep, I typed it. I can't believe I did it, but I figured if it should happen I wanted to have it in writing so I can say 'I told you so' to the world.

If you are a long time reader, and why would you be since it's been so long since I posted, you will know I am no Mike Vick fan. I find, not just the act that he committed, but the lies he perpetuated and the image he has portrayed as reprehensible. However, I am not looking at this as Mike Vick the man alone, I am looking at it objectively. Where could he fit in as a player and a system.

So, I am looking at my beloved Eagles and thinking why not?

First, as an Owner of a Football Team, my first concern might be community outcry. Philly is NOT Seattle or San Francisco. Sure PETA will protest and there will be rumblings but Philly is at its heart a blue collar town that embraces the underdog (no pun intended); real or not (see Rocky and the fact that he has a statue...). Second, this team is considered a front runner in the NFC and I am not exactly sure why. I love McNabb, but can Westbrook stay healthy, actually is he even healthy to begin with and who are we throwing the ball to again? Third, Vick can be utilized in the West Coast Offense that Andy Reid subscribes to. In fact, where McNabb has lost a step, Vick could be used as a playmaker. Fourth, Mcnabb. One, he is NOT getting any younger and with Kolb getting hurt yesterday, do we have a back up? Also, McNabb has been through the wars and can relate to Mike on just about every level.

The more I think about it, the more I like it, for the FOOTBALL TEAM. Would I run out to buy a Vick jersey? No. I would also explain to my children what he did, how I feel about it and what second, and sometimes third chances are all about.

Who in fact couldn't use a chance to 'rehabilitate' his/her image with a fresh start? Sometimes I wish I could!!!

No comments: