Monday, March 8, 2010

Personal Space

Everyone knows the story of the 'close talker'; you know they guy who gets right in your face - happy, sad or indifferent, and always invades that invisible barrier.

It's funny how those things come about. Why for some are there no boundaries and for others there seems like a 'wall' that is built that people can innately feel, even from just a picture.

Last week I paid attention to yet another one of these 'social boundaries' that I thought about today while in traffic trying to get out of the city. Its the escalator. Think about it, I bet it is something you are not even conscious about unless confronted with the situation first hand, like I did last week. As I was walking in the Atlanta Airport Terminal on my way to get my car I was having a conversation with two other people. When we reached the escalator I got on and one of my fellow conversationalists got on WITH ME. Yep, same step. The whole way down he kept talking and I felt uncomfortable. To be honest (my least favorite cliche phrase) I just assumed something was wrong with me! That is until the drive this morning when the third person in the Friday conversation was in the car with me. I asked him he noticed the escalator 'moment' and much to my surprise he said YES. So it got me to thinking --- what's the escalator rule and here is what I came up with.

- Same Step. When you are with your child, spouse, significant other or immediate family member then the same step is appropriate. You can argue close friend as well and for women this boundary may be a tad bit looser, but for most guys the next one is more common.

- The One Step Rule. You are friends or colleagues. One person is above or below the other (depending if you are going up or down) and one party can easily turn to the other and a normal casual conversation ensues.

- Two step MINIMUM. You are a complete stranger and I am waiting for two escalator steps to roll before I step on. It's common courtesy or at least it keeps me comfortable.

Maybe the most fun 'personal space' rule for men is Urinal Etiquette but if you think about it, the escalator is pretty high up there.


Safe travels on the escalator of life my friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm that's very interessting but honestly i have a hard time understanding it... wonder what others have to say..

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Gayle Kesten said...

love this!!! I personally see escalators as my opportunity to see eye-to-eye with people, standing one step ahead of my fellow conversationlist in either direction. ;)