Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sports Superstitions - Do you have them?

I know that I do! Let me run through my list to get you 'comfortable'.

I'll start with the Florida Gators. Number One rule is on 'gameday' I am in Gator clothing. Usually this will consist of a t-shirt/golf shirt and a ballcap. Since April of 2007 that cap has been the FINAL FOUR one I picked up at the NCAA Basketball Tourney. This is my standard routine for games that I am NOT attending. For games that I attend it stays basically the same, HOWEVER, there are certain items that have been 'banished for life' since we lost while I was wearing those items AND I was at the game. Then there are the 'BIG GAMES' that I travel to with the SAME people! My 'people' in this case are Gregg and Denise. It is not that others are not invited but we three do not miss these events, and I have to say we have an impressive track record dating back to the 1996 Football National Championship. It was in that game that Denise broke out our now famous sweatshirt. Denise will bring that sweatshirt along to any of the BIG GAMES! It was in the desert in 2006, it was in Indianapolis in 2006 and back here in Atlanta in 2007. We are UNDEFEATED with that sweatshirt.





On to the pros. I really don't have any personal superstitions when it comes to my favorite pro teams (Phillies, Eagles, Sixers and Flyers...yes all from Philadelphia). However, I do subscribe to the Curse of William Penn. It is not as famous as the Curse of the Bambino in Boston (now destroyed) or the Curse of the Goat in Chicago (sorry Cubs fans, there is ALWAYS next year), but it is just as colorful. See, up until 1983 Philly was a pretty successful sports town; the Sixers had just won the NBA Title, the Phils had won the World Series in 1980, the Flyers were always in and around the Stanley Cup despite going nearly 10 years without one and there was promise with the Eagles as they had made the Super Bowl in 1980. In fact, look at that year of 1980 and you will see EVERY major sports team in Philly in the ULTIMATE game for their respective sport. All this glory changed drastically in 1983 when the laws on the books about the Philadelphia Skyline were changed. If you are not familiar with Philly, up until this time, the tallest structure in Philadelphia could NOT rise HIGHER than the statue of William Penn on Independence Hall. Well, in an effort ot build skyscrapers this law was scrapped and as a result, it has now been 25 years without a Championship. We Philadelphians have had hope. All four teams have been back to the Finals but to no avail. This year we hold out hope again as the Phillies have moved onto the NLCS to face the Los Angeles Dodgers. For me it brings me back to the days as a very young kid in the 70's when these two teams met three times to go to the World Series. Starting Thursday night I will don a Phillies cap and root passionately for change. I long for the feeling of jubilation. I remember like it was yesterday, my Stepfather letting me sneak into my parents room late that night in the Fall of 1980 and sit at the foot of the bed and watch Tug McGraw bring US our FIRST World Title. It was something neither of us had seen and it was great to share together. I hope in 30 or so days to relive it, maybe with even one of my girls.

So, do you have any superstitions when it comes to your favorite teams?

1 comment:

Steven Talbott said...

I am a Chicago fan, and a Cubs fan...need I say more about superstitions? Although, I do have to say, that this is the first year that I have truly gotten into baseball...From bandwagon Cubs fan to heartbroken Cubs fan...I guess there is always next year. And PS...thanks for helping ATL sneak out a win against my Bears.

Steve