Monday, May 18, 2009

Travel Date - May 15-18, 2009

I do a bunch of travel. I actually enjoy it for the most part. I certainly miss my family while I am away but I do enjoy seeing different parts of the country and sometimes the world. I also like meeting people from different places and finding out where we are similar through our backgrounds and how we are different.

One thing that has always been a constant has been my mode of transportation - the airplane. This week I had the chance to experience a different means of transportation and I really enjoyed it and I enjoyed experience a part of the country I have never been in; enjoyed but ready to depart for more familiar turf.

I had to be in Providence for a Trade Show and the flights into Providence were a little pricey. If you are not familiar with the area (as I was not) I quickly found out Providence was about an hour from Boston and 3 from New York. Well, airfare into NYC was unbeatable so I took that option. My next choice was how to get to Rhode Island. Sure I could rent a car for like $300 or I could grab the TRAIN to Providence for around $100. I had NEVER been on a REAL train so it was a no brainer. I upgraded to 'Business Class' because that's how I roll (LOL) and I had no idea what to expect from coach.

The whole experience was new and exhilarating and began early with my first walk into PENN STATION. Clearly I was a fish out of water and had no idea what to do. I did have my itinerary and easily picked up my ticket from the kiosk, but unlike the airport there was no GATE # on my ticket. I was also about 2 hours early not knowing proper protocol. I asked an AMTRAK attendant what to do and he pointed to a waiting area and said "wait and they will tell you what track". OK. I still had a bunch of questions but figured he was not the guy to ask. I spent the next hour using my power of observation and realized that about 15 minutes before a train would leave they would put up its track # on a big board. I look at my ticket for Providence but don't see it on the board and slight panic sets it. I look to see it has a # and I look for that and realize that my trains ultimate destination must be Boston and there it is, 2164. As the 15 minute mark approaches and passes the Board still reads, ON TIME but no track # as a large gathering of people swell. As the moments pass the track # goes up and the mass of humanity the rushes past me is enormous and I allow myself to get swept up in it. What I am realizing is that the train to Boston gets crowded and there are NO assigned seats and I have no idea how these things are configured. I finally make my way down to the track, feeling very much like Harry Potter on his first trip to Hogwarts, and I am searching for the first BUSINESS CLASS CAR I can find. I found one, ducked in, and grabbed a seat.

The configuration was like a library table with two seats on either side. I grabbed one by the window as I was looking forward to watching the countryside roll by. Across from me was a guy with a laptop up and a book ready. I took down my backpack and pulled out a book and my iPod, opting to leave the laptop put away. Next a woman sat next to the guy across from me and finally a middle aged man filled in next to me with his laptop. Away we go and the conductor comes around and collects your ticker and I'm off for my 3 hour adventure, and I never really made it an adventure...

I never got up in fact! Too scared to look like and idiot searching for the SNACK Car I just sat there. I watched out the window as NYC faded away, I napped, I read and listened to T.I. and I ogled at the gorgeous scenes as we reached the coast and made our way up to Providence.

I did also observe, which I always do. Guy across from me, got up and bought 4 Heineken's for the trip; he was going on to Boston and he spent most of the time back and forth between the laptop to his book. The man next to me was the most interesting; I saw the PowerPoint he was working on. He clearly was in the financial industry and he was manipulating billions of dollars worth of data and I was pretty impressed. Then, for his break he toggles over to a shoot'em up virtual game on his DELL, I chuckle to myself at the 50 something 'gamer'. He gets more interesting as though as he gets up and reaches into his bag for what I think is a book. Turns out he has about 20 different issues of COMICS...yes I said comics. Now I am NOT passing judgement as I am sitting there reading TWILIGHT like a 13 year old TWEEN (please censure yourself here David...) but I am a bit surprised he would be so 'bold' as to read comics in public.

Looking back, I actually admire the guy. He is comfortable enough with who he is and likes what he likes and he could care less what some random stranger thinks of it on the train to Boston. Good for him, good lesson for me!

All in all I really enjoyed the trip and I know someday I want to do the full 'train experience' across our beautiful country, in a REALLY COMFY train mind you and with someone to SHARE the experience, but for a first time experience I enjoyed it.

I am no longer a 40 year old virgin in the riding the train category - CHECK

1 comment:

Bart's Camille said...

Very cool Gilly. I was just checking out Amtrak tickets myself. I'm thinking of a quick trip somewhere in one of the Superliner roomettes. Now that you explained how it works, maybe I'll just do it (and take some comics).