Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Art

Art - by definition:

1. The products of human creativity
2. The creation of beautiful things
3. A superior skill that you can learn by practice or skill

Three definitive definitions of the same word. All come to a conclusion for a very broad term and they all explain the word in a very broad way. The concept of what is art and what is not is one that is always hotly contested when it comes to certain 'fringe' types of 'performance' or material. For me, I have always been fascinated with certain aspects of art while completely uninspired by others. Over the years my mind has been opened up to new experiences and new understanding through the Arts that I could never had access to without 'its' assistance. As I look back at these three definitions I am actually inspired to poke holes in them, and thus through written word, create 'art', but then again, "art is in the eye of the beholder" (I guess that is a thought and not a definition)...

Definition #1 seems pretty cut and dry; the product of human creativity. Simple, clean, easy, yet in today's technological age is it correct? The spectacular web of a spider, the song of the humpback whale as she searches for a mate...are these not 'art' as well? But those things are created for 'survival' and not for pleasure (or out of pain), but yet the definition of art did not mention either of those things.

The second definition, the creation of beautiful things, is one I have a real problem with. Who judges what is beautiful? It is an age old question and one that hit me last night as I went to see 'Next to Normal' on Broadway. It is a difficult musical to discuss without giving away the plot or some key themes that you should really experience 'without prejudice', but let me just say that in it's pure power and rawness I found art. I found it to be disturbing, sad, touching and very real. Yet as I sat there I realized that I was responding to the art based on my own experiences. I have heard of people being moved through art in this way before, but for me it was a first. I physically and emotionally felt the pain of each of the six characters. I saw their hopes and fears and related in a way I never have before. But, I am guessing it isn't for everyone and many won't find much 'beauty' in this work of art.

What I realize more and more is that we each truly have a story and no two stories are alike, and as we weave through each others lives those stories get intertwined and interconnected and sometimes they get completely severed. This morning I was crammed on the #2 train out of 72nd and Broadway. It was 31 degrees above and a mix of rain and sleet were coming down so the train was unusually crowded. As I packed in, four more people tried to get on, three with success and one left behind. At first I was annoyed that we had taken more on, but I realized they are now a part of 'my story'. What of that fourth person that didn't make it? Is she 'lost' forever to me? What if she had something to say that could have changed my life? I will never know, nor was I meant to. Last night, I was meant to see that play. In reality, if not for my cousins being in town, it would not have been on my radar. I would have read the synopsis and said "not for me thanks", but through a series of events, there I was, center stage, 5th row and I felt all alone with the actors. I could look them in the eye and I felt like they looked right back and they knew 'my story'. They knew I needed this and that by being present they had helped mold my story. The show had so many lines, and nuggets of insight that I know my mind processed yet I can't remember the exact phrases. I do know I need to go back and feel it again.

Up until last night the real genres of art that have touched me have been music and film. I now include theater in that mix even though I have been going for years. Living in New York I realize I have the chance to explore all sorts of genres of art that are kept hidden from most. I no longer want to just go to the 'hit' play because of the name in it, I want to go deeper, see more, feel more.

Last night inspired me to write more, be more and do more with the time I have left. I am 41, I am at the peak, my personal summit. The days and years behind me, for better and for worse have led me here, and despite the challenges, there really is no other 'place' I would rather be. In the last two months life has thrown more challenges than I thought were fair; I will not shrink from them. I will take them in, ingest them as input and make sure the output they create is used for good.

Fortunately for us we are our own story tellers and the final line is really never written. One of my favorite lines from a movie is "what we do in life echos in eternity". Well, that eternity is our children, our friends and those we interact with.

My story continues to be told, but after last night I am determined to be its author and not just a character in it.

No comments: