Saturday, February 20, 2010

A letter to a friend

T,

Thank you for finally getting back to me. These last 3 months have been very difficult not hearing from you. Fact is I care about you! I know you are always pulled in 5 million directions and like to remain private but yet I still missed you. While you were gone though nobody stopped talking about you, and not much of it was very nice. Fact is, as you pointed out to me on Friday is that it was justified. You did some really bad things. A lot of people out there are still wondering how you could do all of those things to 'them' but I am not one of them. Personally you didn't hurt me. Even as someone I admire and respect for how accomplished they are in business i understand everyone is flawed. I do feel deeply though for those you hurt. I am glad you took some time to acknowledge them. Of course it was your immediate family first and they will hurt the deepest and those wounds may never fully heal, but the other relationships in your life can be repaired. Your business partners need you as badly as you need them. You will get a second chance with them and you know it. There are others though that won't ever be able to express to you the difficulty you have put them through. How do you explain to an 11 year old who sees you as 'larger than life' that you are not only human but that you took advantage of your position, exploited it, and in hindsight exploit him and millions like him.

As sad as I am though, you know what, I want to believe you, I want to see the humanity through the rigid exterior. I have learned over the last several years that everyone has their own story and no one person can truly understand what it is like to walk in an other's shoes. So, I like many, will be here for you. We will wear our hearts on our sleeves and hope beyond hope that you conquer your personal demons, for this is really where you and 'I' connect. It is where you connect with the world, not with a 350 yard drive. We ALL fight our demons. We all do the wrong things and we all have to pay the price. The smartest line you delivered was the one about overcoming adversity. I am right there with you brother.

The road ahead of you is a long one, and you will never be the same. In my mind that's a good thing. You can actually become BETTER! You already have given so much in charity and have helped thousands of kids that needed it. Now you can take this experience and quadruple those efforts. Live your life with humility at every turn. Open your heart to the word not just your checkbook. In therapy discover what it was like to feel pure joy because as I see it, that's what you are seeking. Hopefully what you are learning is that no one person, or experience can give you that joy until you find it in yourself. Be thankful for all your blessings and celebrate them above all else.

If I have one bit of advice or critique from what you said to me on Friday; don't go anywhere near deflecting what you have brought on upon yourself. No reasonable person should be following a two year old to their school, however, YOU brought that upon your daughter. As senseless as it seems those photogs are doing the job they are paid to do. They would not be invading your privacy if it wasn't for your actions. As crappy as that sounds you and the family will live with this for quite some time. The more contentious and accusatory you get about it the less we will support you.

I do really wish you well my friend. I hope that someday, no matter the outcome, you will look back at this experience and it will have made you and those around you better people. Then the actions you took in these trying times will have shown your true contrition.


Your Friend

2 comments:

Wigsbabe said...

Very nice blog. In the end America will forgive him and move on and even though some, like me will refuse to watch him, will key a watchful eye to see if he can overcome the crush of paparazzi and photogs enough to come back and compete at any level.

He has never been very friendly as a high level athlete and always contrite, as was his very prepared speech. Will the new Tiger be different or more of the same?

Wait and see.

markopat said...

That was awesome Gil....I've missed your writing.

Peace!

Mark