Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Pitbull comparison

OK, so I know I will get flamed for this one but it's on my mind after reading this NY Times Article about the dogs from Michael Vick's Kennel, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/sports/golf/01vick.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin.

Basically, the 60+ dogs from the property are 'evidence' and are being kept as such at various locations. In the end they will be euthanized because they can NOT be rehabilitated from the years of abuse.

All of this got me to thinking about our Country's youth and in particular the disadvantaged. They live in horrible conditions, see violence in their homes and on their streets. They live with murder, rape, robbery, drug addictions and homelessness. After 18 years of this, if they are lucky, they are out on their own. In many ways I see them like the Bad Newz Kennel dogs and we as SOCIETY are the Humane Society left to deal with things. Fortunately, euthanizing is not an option, but what is? How do we change a mindset or behavior that has gone on for so many years. Enough people have trouble eating well or stopping addictions like nicotine, alcohol, gambling etc...imagine trying to re-train yourself to trust in others and have self esteem that was long ago destroyed?

I don't know the answer, and I could be way off, but it was in my head.



G

2 comments:

Sherry Heyl said...

It is a very good question, which there is no exact one good answer for.

I think through most people's lives, no matter how bad it was there had to have been some points of light. A teacher that recognized something special in the person, a friend that was counted on...something. I suppose the trick is to try to find that light, focus on the things that were good and hope it expands to overshadow some of the harm that was done.

I think to one of my favorite movies, Goodwill Hunting. The only person who could get through to Will Hunting was the doctor who came from the same neighborhood and had experienced similar tramas. In the end they ended up helping each other...

I do know you can not push such a person too far too fast, and you oftentimes have to stand back and let them make their mistakes, fall down, and hope they do not do too much damage in the process. As they are going through their drama, if they know you are there to offer a different option, perhaps they will eventually change directions.

It's a struggle. One that more people probably go through with loved ones than we will ever know about.

Alex Rogow said...

I can see why you have an interest in running for office. This is about social change. One that is desparately needed in this country and around the world.

As the disparity in weath increases, so do the problems. Which is the next proletariat class that is going to rebel, where, and against whom? Who will be made the scapegote?

I can't help but wonder when history will repeat itself in this situation. We've been distracted, by the Islamic Fundamentalist challenges of the day, rightfully so.

But there is still a growing population of under-nurished, under-educated, under-worked, under-insured, etc. How do we help them? How do we help them help themselves?

It's a constant struggle and one that shouldn't be ignored just because it is a struggle. Have I done my part to help? No. Should I? Yes and I try and figure out the ways and find the motivation.

Thoughts?