Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rooting for the Rockies

No, I am not jumping on the bandwagon but I am pulling for the Rockies to win it all.

There are a lot of reasons to cheer for these guys, despite them taking out my beloved Phils' but reason number one is something I read this morning in my SI.

The players on the Rockies voted to give a FULL Players' share of their playoff earnings to the family of Mike Coolbaugh.

If you don't know, Mike Coolbaugh is the 1st Base Coach in the minors who was killed when hit by a foul ball earlier in the year. He was the father of 2 boys and his widow is currently 8 months pregnant with their 3rd child. Mike's brother is also a baseball coach. Mike was only with the Rockies Organization for 3 weeks when he was killed.

Say what you want about pro athletes but when you read the Coolbaugh story you find passion, determination and love that isn't easily found in other places.

I admire the Colorado Players' and Staff for stepping up to the plate and helping one of their own the only way possible now.

Go Rockies!

No comments: