Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The last few days @ Philips Arena

It seems like the home to the Hawks and Thrashers has become my temporary home.

Over the weekend Atlanta hosted the NHL All-Star game and I went down to soak in some of the festivities. On Saturday night was the Super Skills Competition. The event was nice, nothing spectacular but it was good feeling to be around true hockey fans. One thing really got me though, I was browsing the Program for the weekend and I noticed in the back the NHL took out a page ad if you will and made a memorial/dedication to my friend Jon that passed away last month. Standing on the concourse as people buzzed by me I was once again drawn back to what is now 7 weeks ago. It still blows me away to the amount of folks Jon touched and how blessed I will always be to have had him in my life. The game on Sunday was a great display of great offensive skill but also some very nice goal tending on both ends with the exception of Chris Osgood who looked more like a deer in headlights than a goaltender for a Cup contender.

Monday night found Ilene and I right back in the Arena for Matchbox 20 and Alanis Morrisette. I REALLY enjoy MB20. I'm not a music critic but I am pretty sure no one is going to call them musical geniuses but they put a very good, lively and entertaining show. I've been a fan since their first album and have caught them every time they are in town. It was good seeing Alanis on stage. Her Jagged Little Pill album is still one of those few 'records' I can listen to from start to finish at any random time. They both played all of their hits as well as new stuff. One of the things I like about Rob Thomas/MB20 is he/they come off as genuine. I get the message of the music and right now with all the things swirling around in my world I can relate. Right now one of their older songs keeps hitting my playlist and I think of my hero today. The song is Real World and it makes me think of my good friend Steve Talbott and the struggle he is going through and how he is facing adversity. Steve, you are a rainmaker and a superhero and my inspiration. If you want to follow Steve's journey I have linked his blog here on my page.

No comments: