Sunday, January 4, 2009

3 movies in ONE weekend - must be worthy of a post and a review or three

Friday night wound up being completely unusual and quiet (for once)...Cydney got a call for a sleep over at 5:00 and then Rachel opted for a night at Nana's, so after Shabbat dinner we were on our own so we decided to see Valkyrie, the Tom Cruise movie. First, let me say I am NO Cruise fan, and I am biased by this whole Scientologist bullshit. The movie was pretty good, one thing I will give it was INTENSITY. I sat there glued to the movie the whole time. That didn't make it great but it was compelling. I guess I am a bit spoiled by having a Dad that was not just a History teacher but also a Holocaust expert so I knew most of the story but I think it was told well. The movie plodded a bit, but I was glad to get to see it.

The second movie up was Saturday afternoon with my girls. One of my favorite things to do is get alone time with both Cyd and Rae Rae. On Saturday we caught the Adam Sandler movie, Bedtime Stories. I really liked it. The girls were amused especially Rachel. I love watching them as they watch a movie, they are such opposites. Cydney gets VERY involved in a movie and her expression doesn't change much, she is concentrating I think more than just enjoying. Rae Rae on the other hand is so expressive and nothing brings that out more than a COMEDY. She laughed and smiled the whole time and when she does that it just lights up the room, even a dark theater. As usual, there was goofy Sandler stuff and the obligatory Rob Schneider appearance but all in all it was entertaining.

Saturday night we had a sitter, but no plans, so when in doubt go to a movie to get out of the house. I reluctantly went to see Marley & Me. I was only hesitant because it had been several 'chick' flicks in a row, though I guess Valkyrie wasn't one...anyway, Jennifer Aniston is on my TOP 5 list so I couldn't complain too much. Let's just say I identifed a little too closely to the story in some parts and it got emotional. Besides having had several dogs as a child I really connected to the Owen Wilson character (and that sounds weird normally - LOL). The movie made me think about so much and it continues to have me thinking, contemplating, planning and challenging myself even 2 hours later.

Big week coming up! My Eagles won tonight so a week from today they play the New York Giants for the chance to go to the NFC Championship Game. Ironically I land in New York about an hour before kickoff so I can't go to the game but I'll be following along! I am however going to a BIGGER game this week! On Thursday morning I am hoping down to South Florida for the BCS National Championship game and a chance to root on the GATORS with my co-horts TEAM STRAUS (just the 3 of us baby) and I will run into a host of Fraternity Brothers and old friends to catch up with.

No comments: