Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Greatest Joy

As any parent can attest to, raising children is the most difficult task you will embark on but also the most rewarding. Hopefully the rewards outweigh the frustrations and in the end you don't damage the kids, yourself or your loved ones around you too severely.

This morning, while in the shower, all I could think about was my two girls, Cydney now 8 and Rachel, who is 6. Why in the shower you might ask? Part of this week I am playing my normal role as Dad, but also taking on the role of Mom and 'house mananger' and mind you I am not complaining. My wife doesn't travel excessively and when she does it is usually for a night or two and I do my fair share of traveling as well. This morning I was thinking back on how just a year or two ago how panicked I would be if Ilene were out of town. Not that things would go wrong but at how overwhelming it is to get a house moving and out the door in such a short time span...I know single parents and those that do the lion share of the work (SAHM's) can relate. This morning I realized how simple it has become. Sure Rachel NEVER wants to get out of bed, at 6 she has mastered not just hitting the SNOOZE button but she also turns the damned alarm clock completely OFF. On the other hand, Cydney is a morning person like her Daddy. She is up and at'em and ready to tackle the day. No longer do I have to get them dressed or do all that stuff; they are self sufficient. My biggest issue, to this day is HAIR and that had me panicked this morning as Rachel has a new haircut. Cydney does her own ponytail, thank G-d and Rae Rae says to me, "Daddy, can you use the hot iron please"...ummm..."what's that", I ask..."it's the thing that makes Mommy and my hair straighter silly, it gets really hot and you put it on my hair"..."ummm, ok, well it looks like Mommy took it with her to Kansas"...."ok, Daddy, you got lucky this time, you can just get a brush, wet it and then brush it"...how cute is that?

So many other amazing things come from them and out of them, take these series that have happened in the last few weeks:

- We are in Disney World for Cydney's birthday and on the last night the Magic Kingdom is open late so Cyd and I go to hit Thunder Mountain Railroad in the dark a few times before leaving. It's a blast and as we are strolling back, holding hands and skipping (there's a visual) I say to Cydney, "can we always do this?" and she said "of course Daddy, I love this". About 5 minutes later Cydney just stops and turns to me and says, "what exactly did you mean my ALWAYS"...I said, "you know when you are a teenager and stuff", to which Cydney replies, "maybe I didn't mean always Daddy". I thought I had her.

- One of the myriad of gifts Cyd got for her birthday is the doorbell for your bedroom set. We installed it over the weekend, it is really cute but oh so LOUD and ANNOYING. On top of that Cyd has now adorned her door with a great BIG sign that reads, "If I don't answer then you are not allowed to ENTER". Oh my, my 8 year old is about to turn 16!!!!!!!!!

- Rachel is TWO kids, I swear. There is the very loud and very opinionated young lady that does not understand NO and needs complete control. I usually let her mother handle her...they are very much alike (just kidding, sort of - LOL) and then there is the SWEETEST most affectionate kid I have ever seen. Over the last few weeks the sweet girl has been around so much more. I've never met a kid who aims to please more than my Rae Rae. Last night we had very bad storms and she came into my room, climbed on the bed and said, "Daddy will you hold me, I had a bad dream". Who says no to that one? We snuggled for two hours and then she says, "I'm ALL GOOD, you can sleep now dude"

- I also just love to listen to them talk to each other. What kids know and experience today is amazing from pop culture to technology to the world around them. Having my 8 year old explain how important it is that Obama support Israel is just really cool stuff.

So there was my morning. Nothing can make you cry and smile like your kids, I hope yours, like mine give you smiles and joy that far outweigh the pain (at least for now).

1 comment:

Steven Talbott said...

What a great post. What an excellent Dad. Thanks for the smile to start my day!