Friday, January 23, 2009

Enjoying my cultural/spiritual side

Sometimes explaining to someone how being Jewish is more than a religion can be difficult. By all definitions that I have found, we as Jews are a PEOPLE and define ourselves as such. Our religious beliefs vary greatly and the way we observe that religion is as different as the clothes we wear but at its core belief is a shared heritage that is unmistakable and forges bonds that are undeniable.

This morning, while sitting in my girls' Kabbalat Shabbat Service (basically a school prayer service on Friday mornings) I was reflecting on my 'Jewish life' and how vital and beautiful it is. Mind you I did not grow up in a 'religious' house or even one that put an over-emphasis on being different. I went to Hebrew School and was Bar Mitzvahed and we observed the MAJOR Holidays but that was about it. I think my strongest Jewish Identity came from learning about the Holocaust, its impact on us and the world and then the creation of Israel.

Listening to Cydney stand in front of the entire school and chant the AMIDAH, which is the 18 Blessings at the core of our belief, was so moving. First I am proud that at eight years old Cydney can chant the entire series of blessings, but listening to her go through the movements as well lets me know she gets it and feels that connection. Second, I was humbled as the Guest Rabbi, whom I know through community stuff, looked up at me and smiled as Cydney chanted. It was a look of pride for the father and man I am. I needed that today, it warmed my heart.

So what got me on the path to where my kids go to Jewish Day School, we have Shabbat Dinner on Friday nights and I serve on a few Jewish Community Boards? I'm not really sure but I know that my trip to Israel in 2000 cemented it forever. This afternoon, while waiting in carpool line to pick the girls up, I decided to pick up my latest book and read instead of 'kibbitzing' with the soccer Moms :). My latest reading is a series by an Author named Daniel Silva. This series has eight books and the central character is an Israeli spy/assassin. In fact, if you saw Munich, the main character is this guy. Needless to say the books are fast paced and exciting and getting to see things through a Jewish/Israeli lens is neat for me. Anyway, one of the places mentioned in this book is a visit to Yad Vashem by the main character. If you don't know, Yad Vashem is the Holocaust Memorial and Museum in Israel. It is one of the most beautiful yet painful places in all the world. As I was reading I was remembering every step I took in that place in February of 2000. The most touching place for me was the 'Children's Hall' where the children of the Holocaust are remembered. Imagine a very dark corridor where just five lights are used to create the illusion of millions of tiny lights (stars) that represent the lost children of the Holocaust. Realizing in 2000 that those 'children' would roughly be my parent age was very painful. From there I remember the Art Museum and wondering how amazing the human spirit is that actual works of art could be created by people in so much pain and terror on a daily basis. There is also a parallel Children's Art Musuem that displays the work of the kids that is equally compelling.

To wrap up the day, I sat and listened to Cydney during her piano lesson here at the house. She has a recital on Sunday so this was her 'dress rehearsal; of sorts. One of the songs Cyndey is playing is Hava Nagila and I can hear the difference in her fingers on the keys when she plays that tune versus another.

In a week that saw us Inaugurate our first African American President I am optimistic about everyone being accepted no matter what their religious, ethnic, gender or social beliefs. On the flip side, I hope that in all this 'melting' we are still able to take pride on our own individual and unique heritages and cultures. Oftentimes, as a Jew, it is very easy to assimilate and slip into the 'white, mostly Christian world, which is fine but its also important to recognize and celebrate our differences and even take the opportunity to educate someone else on just how beautiful those differences can be.

Shabbat Shalom

1 comment:

Bart's Camille said...

beautiful post. i, in my own way, understand what you mean.