Friday, June 27, 2008

Teach the children...

In this case I don't mean my kids either.

The other day I was out to lunch with one of my business partners, one of our interns (22) and a couple of our production folks (who are young as well) and we started discussing classic comedies. Their 'library' consisted of all the good stuff from the 90's and today, which I like as well, but they had no depth of knowledge for the 80's. Sure, you may read this and say, what about earlier and sure there were the Mel Brooks classics but for me the true comic genius began in the 80's (go figure I am approaching 40).

So with that as the backdrop, I intend to educate today's youth (those old enough to watch R movies) and I need your help. I'll start with a few of my own, but I look forward to your input. FWIW - you can define comedy any way you like, personally, I will not include John Hughes movies, they deserve a separate category...

In no particular order except #1

Fletch
Caddyshack
Stripes
Trading Places
48 Hours
Night Shift


Ok - I have a ton, but now it's your turn.

4 comments:

Atlanta Sports Genius said...

Blazing Saddles
Coming to America
National Lampoon's Vacation
Real Genius
Ghostbusters
Midnight Run (not truly a comedy, but taught me how to curse in addition to be hilarious)
The Princess Bride

mrotzie said...

Airplane!
Strange Brew
The Jerk (technically 1979 but lemme have it or I'm telling)

I wish I could add Groundhog Day, but it's from 1993.

Bart's Camille said...

The Gods Must Be Crazy
Back to School
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Beverly Hills Cop
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Naked Gun
Money Pit
Spaceballs

Alex Rogow said...

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Meatballs

Stir Crazy - Wilder & Prior at their best

Naked Gun - first of the movie spoofs

Johnny Dangerously - shoots through schools

History of the World Part I - it's good to be the king

Better Off Dead - I want my $2