Thursday, September 18, 2008

Milestones & Thank You's

This morning marked exactly 10 weeks from surgery, 70 days.

I walked into therapy feeling good. After doing the usual stretching Mark went to the elliptical machine and I asked him if I could do something else, something less boring. He shrugged his shoulders and I pointed to the treadmill. He took about 15 seconds and said, "ok, but let's be careful". I spent 1 minute walking at 3 miles per hour and then RAN (ok, really a jog for me) at 5 miles per hour.

Before I get to the thank you's and there are many, I need to describe what those 5 minutes were like. First, I never believed 5 minutes could fly by so quickly or seem like a lifetime at the same time. Physically it was EASY! Was there pain in my knee? I wouldn't call it pain per se but I felt it. Mentally it was maybe the best 5 minutes I have spent in a long time (at least vertically that is). So many things raced through my mind. I literally 'ran through my life', cried nearly the entire time, tears of joy, relief, overcoming and realization. To use a poor analogy I felt like Forrest Gump when he shed his braces, I could run and my mind raced with me. Cathartic ally I believe I shed a lot of weight and issues this morning, so onto the thank you's and since it was all in my head I will start chronologically:

My Parents, all THREE of them. My father, who is now long gone and never played a very active role in my life, yet now I know he loved me as best as he could and he still is there to support me today. From you Dad, I learned that there is no easy road. Also, although I can give of myself freely with love I will never truly understand and feel true love until I can love myself. Today I know that lesson all to well and I am learning every day. From my mother, you showed me strength and perseverance through adversity and that continues today. You transformed your life for your family and today you are transforming yourself in health and well being. Every milestone you pass in beating Cancer I celebrate and I can't wait to watch you complete your '3 Day Journey' in October. To Art, my DAD, you gave my sister and I unconditional love and continue to be the strength and support of our family, as silent as you may be. Your model and consistency as a parent and friend will always be my beacon as a father to Cydney and Rachel.

Carin, Tara and Todd - although we may go long strecthes without talking or seeing each other your support and encouragement is always with me. I love you and your families with all of my heart.

Enough of the history - let's get more present...

Dr. Evander Fogle and your staff. I am in disbelief as to how well my surgery went and your care and after care in the last 10 weeks. You have shown skill and caring far beyond most surgeons in your field.

Mark Wentworth, my Physical Therapist - you know when to push and when to back off. I would be no where near where I am physically or mentally without your guidance, faith and support.

Ilene, Cydney and Rachel - my wife and 2 girls. I am NOT an easy patient. It was a VERY long road to just get to surgery. You never wavered in your faith and confidence in me and when I was down you picked me up. Ilene, you have given of yourself as a mother and a friend through this more than anyone could hope for.

My oldest of friends - Gregg, Steve, Scotty, Glenn & Jackie - you have checked in, you have lifted me up and in one instance even freed up an entire weekend for me to just dump on and get everything out. I never can express how much you all mean to me adequately.

Gayle - you are in the group above but through all of this and so much more you have stood out. Even before the surgery you lit up my world as I spent a marvelous day with you and Jared in the City in March. Your phone calls, emails and responses to my posts mean the world to me.

Pam - from the funny posts on B2B, to good chats on the phone to hysterical 'someecards' you just 'get me' and to not have spoken to you in 22 years that is pretty rare. You truly are a special person and I look forward to enjoying our friendship for years to come.

Regina - my favorite B2B friend - how were we not closer in High School? It's not like we had more than 350 people in our class! You are funny, intelligent and the perfect spark when someone is feeling down!

Talbott - YOU are an inspiration and your encouragement and courage is impossible to match.

Mark Patrick - thank you for following the blog and continuing to motivate me!

Jonathan G., Alex, Jordan and everyone else in Atlanta who has checked in on me, given me inspiration, dropped off food and encouraged me throughout this rehab.

Lastly, my colleagues and friends at EventStreams who have been patient with doctor appointments, rehab and unexpected issues.

This is by no means the END of my journey, it is a new beginning!

3 comments:

markopat said...

Hey Gil,

What a really amazing post. I am so proud of your progress and understand the effort that you are putting forth to get better. Congrats! More importantly, thanks for opening up in your posts the way that you do. You make me LOL...you make me feel great, and sometimes you make me cry (in the best possible way). You have such a talent...I am humbled and so blessed to call you a friend!

Rock on BRO!

Marky P

Steven Talbott said...

Wow! That is an amazing post. I know from experience what it feels like to share your feelings in a truly emotional way. It is so important to say it, but so hard to put it into words. I can't thank you enough for continuing to give me courage with your words. I appreciate the recognition, but it is you that deserves it!! Great post! I can't say it any better than Marky P. I am honored to call you both my friends.

Talbott

mrotzie said...

Very sweet. Glad you're on the mend.