Thursday, September 4, 2008

RNC - Night 2 - Sarah Palin 'shines for the crowd'

Look, I'm not going to try and kid you, I am not anywhere near the Republican 'base' on almost every single social issue. However, I can certainly recognize and respect a strong performance while still getting to be a little bit critical :).

First, Sarah Palin did more than what the media expected but exactly what I expected, she delivered. No one goes from Mayor of a podunk town to Governor of a podunk State (no offense Alaska) without having a certain amount of flair and charisma. She did a very nice job of counter balancing her "I'm a hockey Mom" with I'm a tough as nails bitch and can sling mud and half truths too very well.

*side note - thankfully the RNC was in MINNESOTA where they actually know what hockey is or that might have not gone over well

Second, she had very good timing, she worked the crowd and really does have a speaking style that works well.

Third, she hit the ball out of the park for the 'BASE' and that is what John McCain needed. To the new Republican base he is a scary 'liberal' and she fits right in, especially on socially conservative issues.

Now, I can turn to some criticisms:

First, let's start with the family. Again, under 'full disclosure' I have a 8 year old nephew with Downs Syndrome. I do NOT have a favorite niece/nephew among the 9 that I have but I am pretty sure I am his favorite Uncle :). I understand and respect the entire special needs spectrum from a very personal level. What I do not believe is fair is that the Palin Family can be open on one side of their family life and then choose to stay 'closed' on another. Facts are facts and in the world we live in today what is going on is 'fair game'. A part of me REALLY despises it but I realize why it happens. Truthfully, the Republicans have run for a VERY LONG time now on the FALSE notion that Obama is a Muslim, or that he conspires with terrorists. This mud slinging stuff sucks and I wish it didn't happen but it does. Is having a 17 year old pregnant daughter make you a bad mother? No. All of a sudden to have the young man who impregnate her become her fiancee and have his life changed (see that he mysteriously no longer has a MY SPACE page) is a bit more than interesting.

Second, let's get off personal and go to the facts. Mrs. Palin, or her speech writer, was NO WHERE CLOSE on several facts. There is no single evidence that points to Obama-Biden raising taxes for the majority of citizens. Raising taxes for the majority of Republican delegates sitting in that hall, probably, but not the single mother making $34,000 a year raising 2 kids. On the War in Iraq, she talks of 'forfeit' like this were a game of kickball. That is just ridiculous. EVERYONE wants an end to war, isn't that why we fight them in the first place? Win, divide the loot and get out or take over...hmmm...the problem here, and she brought it up is that the Republicans (thanks to the President) want to WIN. Someone please tell me what exactly is winning here? Seriously, what does it look like? Maybe if we knew that we could get on board.

Third, this concept of energy and how Obama-Biden want to make matters worse by not drilling. Look, this is a policy debate. Fact is there probably is no right and wrong. Will drilling solve some problems, short and long term - YES; will drilling cause some problems, short and long term - YES. You will fall in one camp or the other but to lie and say the opponent doesn't care is RIDICULOUS. While we are on energy. When did energy become the #1 issue in America? And if the media is SO liberal how did they buy into this concept. I thought the #1 issue was the ECONOMY, which, oh by the way, the energy issue is a part of. I would think #2 would be the war, but back to #1. If the economy didn't SUCK people would not be complaining as much about energy prices. If our foreign policy was stronger we might not see the energy issue (which is ALL ABOUT MONEY, big fat oil company money). Lastly, we are in this crazy dependency not because of Republicans, Democrats or whatever, we are in it because of ALL OF US. Shut up and work together - solve problems, stop taking blame - BOTH SIDES.

So what did last night do? It kept thinks interesting. Do I think Sarah Palin will ever appeal to the Hillary Crowd? Not if they look at her record - NRA lifetime member, pro life, pro drilling, against universal healthcare, anti-environmental issues (and if you don't think so look up her thoughts on polar bears). She will shore up the Republican base and energize a DEAD campaign. Polling numbers will change, but there is a long way to go and the polls are missing a whole GENERATION. No phone based poll gets to the under 28 (or so) set that does not have a HOME PHONE. They all have just a CELL NUMBER!!!!!!

I am hopeful that the upcoming debates will be about substance and not rhetoric. I am also hopeful that thousands of people will one day rise up from reading my blog and demand that I write a National Column that makes me millions of dollars from book deals and world tours...

No comments: