Thursday, September 25, 2008

Week 11 rehab update

I ended week 11 today with a 'test' on the knee. The test is designed to be done 12 weeks after surgery but since I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow Mark wanted to do it today.

Basically, they took a baseline 'strength test' of both legs right before surgery. Realize I did 8 weeks of rehab BEFORE surgery and was feeling very good.

There were four measurements; quad strength, hamstring strength, quad endurance and hamstring endurance. They hook you up to this weight machine and a computer and off you go doing leg extensions and flexions at different speeds and weights.

Today I replicated that test with just the bad leg. The average person with my ACL reconstruction has recovered 60-65% of their ability in all four categories. Mark told me afterwards that his goal for me was 80%.

Here were my scores:

Quad strength - 90%
Hamstring strength - 97%
Quad endurance - 106%
Hamstring endurance - 97%

So as you can see I am way ahead of schedule and very excited about the next phase of rehab. Assuming the check in with the surgeon goes well tomorrow then I will move on to 'functional skills' which means cutting and lateral movement :-)

2 comments:

markopat said...

Holy crap Gil! That is AWESOME! Way to work it baby!

Mark

Steven Talbott said...

Nice Job Gil! Hard work and commitment pays off again!

Steve