Monday, September 22, 2008

The Weekend that was (mostly sports related...spoiler alert)

I left Friday evening for Knoxville and the University of Florida - University of Tennessee football game (Jonathan, I did that correctly by spelling it out for those not in the know right? ;-))? It is a very quick and easy drive from my house to my friend Marc's in the western burbs of Knoxville. The night was beautiful and I had the roof open, windows down and iPod blasting my FAVORITE mix and it just let my mind wander and prepare for what I knew would be a great couple of days. I rolled in around 10:00 and got caught up with the my friends and then went to sleep. Up early on Saturday we were out the door for a tailgate party at 10:30. Kick-off was not until 3:30 so it was going to be a long day. Marc had a buddy that hooked us up with an awesome party right outside the stadium. The Tennessee folks at the tailgate could NOT have been friendlier and really, besides a few obnoxious students the fans were hospitable all day and night. While I ABSOLUTELY love home games in THE SWAMP I really enjoy going on the road where there are 100,000+ people rooting for the other team. The atmosphere in the SEC is second to none and Knoxville is probably my favorite away game to go to for the atmosphere. Our seats were in the Florida section right under the 'jumbotron' so that would be the last row. However, it was only row 33 so it was really not bad as the pictures will attest. We had the added benefit of a great breeze all day and the Tennessee River behind us. Oh yeah -Gators romped 30-6 - "IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR".









Besides college football there was so much else going on sports wise. We are in the middle of the pennant chase in Major League Baseball, the NFL is in fool swing and the Ryder Cup was going on. Being an avid golfer and homer, I was pulling for the U.S. and enjoyed watching periodically throughout the weekend. What I did see showed great shot making from both sides and I was pleased to see the emotion and spirit the Americans played with. I give a ton of credit to their Captain, Paul Azinger, who has survived cancer and truly is inspirational.


On Sunday morning I hustled out of the door in Knoxville to make it home in time to take the family to the final home game of the year for the Braves. The girls looked ADORABLE in the pink Braves hats and their Tomahawks. I, of course, was in a PHILLIES cap but for the first time I can remember actively remember rooting for the Braves because they were playing the New York Mets. The mets and Phillies are in a battle for the division and every Met loss is a good one. The Braves battled back and won and I am almost beginning to feel comfortable that the Phillies will be in the playoffs. I forgot to download those pics but I'll add them at some point.

The only disappointing part of my Sunday sports day was hustling home to catch the Eagles-Steelers game only to find out it was not on in Atlanta.

Besides the big boys playing sports I did miss the girls' soccer games on Saturday though I am happy to report about them. Cydney's team WON their first game of the year in the 8/9 year old division. They won 4-2 and Cydney scored the game winner when it was knotted at 2. I can't tell you how proud I am of these girls as their coach. I only have 3 girls who are even 'of age' and they are new to the team. The rest of the girls will be turning 8 throughout this year. We lost our first 2 games soundly but they are playing with heart and determination and really having fun and enjoying each other. On a side note, from an embarrassment standpoint I am glad to have missed the game as Ilene apparently did a cartwheel ON THE FIELD after Cyd's goal. G-d forbid there is video of that I would love to put it on YouTube! Rachel's team also won and she scored 3 goals. They too have moved up divisions and are playing great soccer and are now 2-1. Coaching both teams is challenging yet very rewarding and as I told one of my coaches, maybe I should stay away from games more often.

Lastly, I watched some of the New York Yankee game last night as they closed down Yankee Stadium. Fortunately I got to see several games there. It is by no means a 'beautiful park' from a cleanliness standpoint but I was always truly in awe knowing the history that had preceded me being there.

I think that covers the weekend

1 comment:

Steven Talbott said...

Great sports update, but you forgot a couple of key notes....mainly that the CUBS CLINCHED THE DIVISION!...and the Bears got their butt kicked again...

Ok...now the weekend update is complete. :)

Steve