Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Republican National Convention - Day 1

As unbiased as possible - I PROMISE :-)

1. The theme of the convention was established, in my opinion - Change = Reform. John McCain is his own man/maverick (though I think they will be careful with that word for their 'base) that Independents can trust. While the Obama campaign pounds 'Change', I believe the Republicans will talk about 'Reform'; taking what they see as almost working and tweaking it. They are trying to appease the base yet reach out to swing voters at the same time, I guess that is a sound strategy.

2. The President and his father - I'm not sure why our sitting President is live via satellite while his father is in the hall, oh yeah, and his wife as well. I understand that he is NOT popular at this point but the idea of his speaking is not to the 15,000 in the hall, these people are 'sold'. It is the millions supposedly watching or maybe the millions just getting sound bytes and reactions of the spin doctors. With that in mind, are they fooling anyone? They gave the guy 5 minutes and held their breath that he enunciated his words properly and didn't give that sarcastic, "I know I'm better than you chuckle".

3. Joe Lieberman - What the F dude? On every side, what the F dude? From Senator Lieberman's side; and I should preface this that I like Joe. I think his experience is great, I support many of his core issues and as a Jew I am proud that he was a VP nominee 8 years ago. However, last night was no service to your 'legacy'. You can support Mr. McCain but to be a 'puppet' on their stage where you were clearly not wanted (see the tepid applause you received) was not wise in my mind. Several times you referred to yourself as a Democrat. While I appreciate all that you have done in your years as a Democrat, you chose to be an Independent so you could win your Senate seat back. I'm cool with that, but you can't sit on that fence, Joe. Secondly, the Republican Party. What did Mr. Lieberman do for you? Do you really think that ME, and yes I mean me, a social liberal and fiscal conservative (and a Jew no less) was going to change his mind based on Mr. Lieberman's 'testimonial for McCain/Palin'? Give me a break. I don't think he has even met Sarah Palin yet and if he had he probably didn't know it.

4. Sarah Palin - I am not getting into her personal life. I have learned through lots of adventures (and no I was NOT a pregnant teen) that the world is not Black & White, there are way too many shades of grey for us to pass judgment. Fact is good parents, great parents, have kids that make mistakes and some of them are more glaring than others. Does it speak to other things? Maybe, but I won't bash her for what I don't know. However, how the Republicans are spinning her is phenomenal! I am going to TiVo her speech tonight because in all honestly I have my Fantasy Football Draft and I know my priorities :), but I am very interested in hearing her. If I were handling the Democrats I would leave well enough alone. I would applaud the Republicans for choosing someone fresh, new and a woman and I would say we are excited to get to the real issues of where we differ. I would leave the 'mud' to the media and keep their hands clean. Going after her could be a NO WIN proposition.


So, how did I do on a unbiased basis?

No comments: