Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shameless plug and I am being a bit lazy...

I spent the past weekend at an absolutely amazing retreat with a program called Leadership Atlanta (www.leadershipatlanta.org). It has left my head spinning and back in the real world my head is spinning from too many other things.

So forgive me for 'copying' from myself but this will allow those of that like my sports stuff to have another avenue.

As part of my day job I am a partner and co-creator of a site called www.thefflguru.com. As part of that site I write a weekly article on anything I want to (football related).

Here is the article that will go up later today, you my favorite people get to see it first :-)


So the first weekend of NFL has come and gone. In general, you are probably in one of three Fantasy ‘states’:

1. Euphoria – as my team(s) rock; I made all the right moves and I am hoping to go ‘coast to coast’ to win my league crown.
2. You feel ‘ok’ (insert John Malkovich Russian accent from ROUNDERS) – you team looked ok, there were not a ton of TD’s but guys performed pretty well; also, you might have seen your bench step up and look good.
3. Is it next year yet – You own TOM BRADY, one of the Bengal or Rams Wide Receivers. You won’t be the only ones in this pile eventually but right now you are dejected.

Me? I’m firmly in camp #1. My team had the high score in week 1 in my ‘Big League’ (the one with a good cash, 2 great trophies and bragging rights with guys I’ve known for decades). My biggest coup you ask? Starting my #3 RB in Michael Turner. However, just like group #3 should not get too down (hopefully they drafted well enough to stay competitive) those of us in Group #1 need not get too excited. It is just ONE week! As they say on the PGA Tour, you can’t win a golf tournament on the first. However, you can lose one .

If you are in Group 1, don’t rest on your laurels. Really evaluate your team and see where your flaws are. Identify teams in groups 2 & 3 where panic for unseasoned Owners might be setting in and see if you can shore things up. For me, I am need depth at WR. I am good 4 deep in a league where we start 3 WR’s but I need insurance. I purposely helped start the run on back up QB’s so I have room to deal either a Derek Anderson or Eli Manning since I will be gunning Drew Brees out most days.

If you are Group 2 – don’t panic! Realize your starting line up has the quality and were drafted where they should be. Guys like Addai, Santonio Holmes and Derek Anderson are going to get there’s. Now is not the time to panic and start juggling those line-ups.

Enjoy the few days between games. It is amazing how quickly this time year flies by…before you know it we will be in Week 10 and beyond!

2 comments:

markopat said...

Good article Gil...great perspective. I own 4 teams and was 2-2 this week... Unfortunately...one of the losing teams has (had) Brady...I am now counting on Kitna or Pennigton to lift me up. I too, won in our big league...the one that counts...but I have work to do!

Peace out!

markopat said...

Hey Gil...Where is the blog on the Warren Sapp comments from last weekend? I thought you would be all over that.

As a University of Miami alum, Sapp didn’t like the Gators going for a very late field goal in their 26-3 victory over his beloved ‘Canes. In fact, as the MIAMI HERALD reports, Sapp went as far as to call coach Meyer “a classless dirtbag” for the late-game move. But Warren promised retribution when the two schools meet again in 2013, saying “it’s coming back in a big way.”