Friday, February 27, 2009

The Man who changed my life

Tomorrow we celebrate Pop-Pop's 67th birthday, to me he is Dad.

I have TWO father's but only ONE Dad. I no longer have the big misgivings about how my childhood turned out, in fact, I am grateful. I have had the gift of a father that loved me to the best of his ability and I have had a Dad to guide me through the difficult and akward years: he has been a mentor, a teacher and most importantly a friend, that listens first and gives freely.

Art is a quiet man, but it doesn't take much for you to understand where he is coming from --- it just takes a look and maybe a grunt.

My greatest memory growing up in the Slomsky house:

When we still lived in Philly and my parents were dating at the time, Art took me to the 'shore' to set up for his summer job. It was April and we were in Aunt Sybil and Uncle Denny's Dark Green van. Art took me, just me, to help set up the T-shirt store he had on Million Dollar Pier. It was FREEZING and the van was also our 'hotel room'. I remember that first night, we went to see HAIR at a movie theater and then we went for coffee at the Pink Flamingo. He knew almost everyone, especially theses ladies that were dressed really funny (later I would learn they were the famous AC Hookers, but I digress). I don't remember too much else from the trip except we ate lots of cheesesteaks and worked on the Pier.

I remember that Summer and the gypsy kids, spending time with Todd & Tara, who would become my brother & sister and running all over the pier, playing skee ball, messing with the Gorilla Woman's kids and generally staying out of trouble.

Soon after we moved to Florida and the t-shirt shop was no more, and the Pier was torn down and turned into a mall, but that summer stayed with us for YEARS as we had the worst wardrobe of iron-on t-shirts for a very long time. It still kills me that my parents let Tara run around with "IBTC"(and I hope you know what that means)t-shirt on at the age of like 10!

There are so many other great memories of my childhood thanks to Art.

You did what no man 'has to do'. You raised someone else's kids as your own, you worked 3 jobs to make ends meet, you kicked our butts to work around the house and most importantly you taught me what it means to be a man and a REAL FATHER.

I love you and am thankful that you CHOSE to be DAD and never settled for anything less.

Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

mrotzie said...

Nice post. Not only did Tara have an Itty Bitty Committee shirt, though. I was the only 3-year-old in town with a shirt that read, "Pot Smokers Have Bigger Joints."