Thursday, February 5, 2009

Michael Phelps is getting a pass...why?

Because he is WHITE! Ok I said it. Maybe it's not that 'black and white', pun intended, but I GUARANTEE if Mr. Phelps was an African American or Latino he would NOT be getting this free pass. Don't get me wrong either, I love the kid and was glued to the TV every morning during the Olympics, but facts are facts.

Here are the excuses I am hearing:

1. I don't condone what he did but it's not that big of a deal, he is only endangering himself since he does not play a team sport.

2. He's 23 and he was never a kid, this is just a phase.

3. He has apologized profusely and has promised it won't happen again.

Ok, let's look at them.

1. Personally, if he were NOT in the public eye, I could also care less. I believe I am in the minority in my generation to say that I never experimented with weed. I have my own personal reasons but to each his own. HOWEVER, this guy IS in the public eye. What is the signal it says to the 11 year old who is being told to stay away from recreational use? I mean the dude just won EIGHT GOLD MEDALS and is sleeping with every hot chick in Hollywood --- what 11-14 year old does not want to be like Mike? If he is not a ROLE MODEL he is at least a public figure. He also has MILLIONS --- if this was his choice, why not light up in a hotel room with no cell phone cameras.

2. Give me a break! He chose the life and is reaping the rewards. Plus, I have kids and I am not looking to the 'phase' :-)

3. The apology angle ---give me a break! Four years ago Phelps was caught and arrested for a DUI. We got the same sob story...please.

So, you are thinking --- where is the race deal Gil? Let's not be naive...name for me ONE African American athlete who has been found smoking dope and the story becomes a 'feel good' one? I'll wait.

In the meantime, the world has come to Phelps' back. Even the International Swimming Federation fell for the heartfelt apology. Tell me when Roger Goddell will do that in the NFL.

Anyway, I just find it all to be intriguing and worth watching.

On a side note, this was ALL just stream of consciousness while listening to an amazing 3DD/Maroon 5 mix I put together but no I am not 'packing a bowl'.

2 comments:

Bart's Camille said...

sure you aren't... ;)

GillyGator said...

Jen Jen Jen --- excuse me Camille Camille Camille

I hear that in my head and all I can hear is Bill Cosby!