Sunday, August 10, 2008

Enjoying the Olympics

For me the Olympics will always be special. Twelve years ago, Ilene and I got to experience what very few in the world get to. Not only did we attend the Atlanta Games in 1996 but we were also volunteers in two very cool 'venues'. Ilene was a VIP Hostess in the 'Presidential Suite' at the Georgia Dome during the gymnastics competition and she would frequently come home with stories of Chelsea Clinton or this star or that one. For me it was wall to wall basketball. I was a special envoy to the DREAM TEAM. I got to spend my days with the big boys of the NBA, including one of my childhood heroes, Charles Barkley. When they were playing I was behind the bench and when they weren't I was shepherding them around Atlanta from venue to venue. My all time favorite moment was right after they won the Gold. After the ceremonies, the guys came out of the tunnel and there were hugs all around and I was in the middle of it. I have a great picture of Karl Malone and me and I AM WEARING HIS GOLD MEDAL!

This morning as I watched the 2008 version of the Dream Team I though fondly of those days 12 years ago. I watched these guys play with exuberance and childhood love of the game that has been missing since that 2000 team. It also brought back memories of the Olympic Park bombing, fortunately that was one of very few nights we were not there, and all the other craziness that surrounds hosting an Olympics.

The past 2 days we've been watching a lot of coverage here at the house and Cydney and Rachel were asking when the Olympics will come to Atlanta. It's amazing to realize that the answer to that question is truly, "not in your lifetime" (though that is not what i said). Someday, hopefully in 2016 or 2020 they will be back in the U.S. I highly recommend trying to find a way to attend something. You could not watch the Opening Ceremonies Friday night and not be moved at what the human spirit can accomplish and that is what is all about! Living the Olympic spirit may be cliche and 'old school' but it is pretty cool.

No comments: