Friday, August 22, 2008

Like a 'bolt' of lightning

I must be slipping a bit since it took me until this morning to talk about Usain Bolt, henceforth known as 'The World's Fastest Human'.

First, let me say that the title 'World's Fastest Human', in my mind, is by far the COOLEST moniker one could have. Possibly 'Ruler/King of the World' is appealing as well but I imagine you will live in constant fear of your life with that title. The 'World's Fastest Human' only has to worry about doping scandals, cheaters and guys chasing him.

If you missed either of Bolt's World Records at the Olympics you need to go to www.nbcolympics.com and find them. It was absolutely STUNNING to watch him fly around the track. What Michael Phelps was to the pool, Bolt was to land. He energized the second week of the Games and kept them relevant.

As I watched, and heard the commentators talk about how he will dominate track for the next several years, since he is only 21, I couldn't help but think what he should do, at least in my mind. The kid is 6'5" tall which is not typical for a sprinter. He also weighs almost 200 lbs. so he is no 'little guy'. If I were Bolt or his agent I would RUN, not walk, to the NFL. If he put on 15-20 pounds he would be the prototype Wide Receiver and who knows if he can catch? What I do know is the graphic on the screen that translated his 100 Meter time to a 40 yd. dash (the measurement du jour for speed in the NFL). The best times in the NFL approach 4.2 seconds in a 40 yard dash; Bolt's time translated to a 3.53! Holy Sh*t! Imagine this guy running a 'fly pattern'? Better yet, if he realty learns the game no Defensive Back could ever come close to covering 'dig routes' or 'corner routes' because they would be so afraid of his speed. There are some pretty smart and maverick Owners out there. I can only imagine that Jerry Jones in Dallas is having the same thought...

No comments: