Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What constitutes an Olympic sport?

I had the TV to myself last night as Ilene was off at tennis practice. I got back from the gym by 7:30, had the girls down by 7:45 and had reheated my lean meat burger on the grill and turkey hot dog all before 8:00.

My plan was to fill my night with some Monday Night Football and Olympic coverage. Well, the football game sucked. From my perspective I was purely watching for fantasy football information and there was not much to see. The kid on the Giants that caught 2 TD's is a 3rd or 4th WR on that team and not much else happened except what I fear for the Browns. So I decided to turn my attention to the Olympics and boy do I wish I was a fan of The Hills because that had to have been better than last nights Olympic coverage.

I was excited to see the US women on the beach. Forget the bathing suits, I am a fan of the athleticism that is beach volleyball, and ok, I'm a sucker for a 6 pack on tall blond :)~. Unfortunately the match lasted all of 20 minutes as the US pounded the Brazilians very quickly to get to the Gold Medal Match. As I watched I thought fondly back on my week in Rio de Janeiro where I woke up to the sun rising over Ipanema Beach and all the people out playing volleyball at 6:00 AM when I went for my runs. Here's a couple great shots:















So back to the remote and what's on next at the Olympics? Back to the gymnastics venue for, wait for it, not individual finals, no...TRAMPOLINE! Really, trampo-freaking-line. No offense to any of you big 'trampers' out there but anything that constitutes a obtrusive backyard playset should NOT be an Olympic sport. It certainly looked athletic and fun, but not nearly as fun as what Adam Corolla and Jimmy Kimmel did with 'The Man Show' on Comedy Central where they had hot girls on the trampoline in very little clothing. If someone can shoot me one rule of Olympic Trampolining without google-ing it I will be very impressed.

There are some other silly Olympic sports, see badmitton, table tennis or team handball but this one took the cake for me.

No comments: