Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's time to start talking FOOTBALL

Last night I walked in the door from travel day from hell just in time for HBO's latest series, Hard Knocks, NFL Training Camp: The Dallas Cowboys. Now, if you don't know me, let me accentuate this point:

I HATE THE DALLAS FREAKING COWBOYS!!!!

As a kid growing up in Philadelphia there was no ifs, ands or buts about this point. This hatred grew and festered as I watched Da Boys win multiple Super Bowls. When we moved to Florida my loyalty to my hometown never left. The early 80's were pretty good to Philly sports fans and South Florida at that time only had the Dolphins. Additionally all my friends were transplants as well, mostly from New York, so they were predominantly Jets and Giants fans and in those days Philly had the upper hand. All except for Scotty, who despite his New York upbringing was and still is a dyed in the wool Cowboy fan. I am glad to say that Scotty is still one of 4 guys I would lay down my life for and vice versa but all that goes by the wayside when we talk NFL football. He loves to remind me of the ZERO Super Bowls, and all I can respond with is, you aren't even from Dallas (insert expletive)...
In 1997, we moved to Dallas. My best friend in Dallas is a life long Cowboy fan with family season tickets on the 40 yard line. For 6 years I enjoyed going to games with him and his Dad. We even had sideline passes for the day T.O. raced out onto the star at midfield to celebrate a TD. Let me tell you, the smile on my face at that was PRICELESS. Every time the Eagles came to town I would don my McNabb #5 and deal with the Cowboy fans. I love being the underdog and I certainly enjoy instigating some good natured ribbing.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but there is some background...back to last night:

The show was phenomenal! Now that I am in the production world I watch things differently and the folks at HBO do just a great job. As a football geek it was great to see the behind the scenes stuff, the practices, the rookie hazing, etc...but best of all was to get to see what I know will be a very formidable team on the field this year develop.

Let me reiterate my opening point:

I HATE THE DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!!!


However, and I hope the guys from my league don't read this blog, I would LOVE the Romo-Owens 'bam bam' that should happen at least 15 times this year, and say what you want about Adam 'Pacman' Jones, that kid is one of the sickest athletes I have ever seen.

In other news, can you believe Brett Favre is now a New York J-E-T Jet? I know some guys that are doing backflips right now!

Meanwhile, in addition to the Fantasy Football show we are producing and that I am hosting I will also be contributing op-ed pieces to the website in article form. I think my first one will be about the changes in fantasy football over the last 10 years and how drastically changes in the NFL force new thinking with Fantasy Football.

No comments: