Monday, August 11, 2008

Last night/this morning at the Olympics

It's hard to believe that Beijing is a full 12 hours ahead of us! This fact allows for a bunch of prime time events to be our morning ones AND they are swinging it so that some big time events are happening around 10:00 AM over there so we can see them live in prime time. Last night was one of those times, as a fan or just someone who loves to see young people live with passion, where I just couldn't turn off the TV.

I am a confessed sports junkie. If it is on, I will watch it and for better or worse I know way too much about it. Most of this is because my brain is a sponge where a lot gets in but know one ever takes the time to ring it out. Anyway, last night Michael Phelps, the great American swimmer, was going for his 2nd GOLD of these games. This time it was in a 4 man relay and the U.S. Men were not the favorites, it was the French. The French talked smack all week and last night they got smacked! Phelps led off the race and had the lead, the next 2 U.S. swimmers gave up the lead to the French and when the anchor leg began the U.S. was about a 1/2 length behind and the French had their best swimmer in the pool. With 15 meters left it looked like the U.S. had SILVER but the U.S. swimmer went absolutely NUTS, closed the gap and out reached the Frenchman to the wall. THe celebration that erupted for those 4 guys was SPECTACULAR! They hugged, danced and screamed like kids because they truly were excited by their accomplishment.

This morning I poured through You Tube hoping someone would have posted the race but it is not up yet. When I find it, I will post it because not only is it worth watching once, but for me, it will be something I will show the girls (yes I have it on DVR) and use it as a tool for my girls' soccer team as well as for myself when I need a reminder of how truly special this life can be.

Thanks to my good friend Jonathan Ganz, here is the video:

UPDATE - for some reason the link is no longer active, so here is a way to watch off of a YOU TUBE mix

No comments: