Monday, August 4, 2008

SONY shows some real customer loyalty ideas

If you followed the blog last couple of weeks you know that I finally came clean about an issue my pride and joy is having. No, I don't mean one of the girls. It's August for goodness sakes so I can only mean my big screen TV.

As previously diagnosed, I am having an issue that SONY recognized was a defect and they are replacing the parts and paying for the service. I have had the installer call the house and we are just waiting on the parts. Here is where their savvy customer care starts to kick in. On Friday, we are late getting out of the house for Amelia Island, as usual, when the phone rings. It's an 800 # so we let it go to the machine. On the machine I hear this is so and so with SONY and I immediately pick up thinking my parts are in and we are scheduling the big day. Low and behold, it's a "sales" call but the best darn one I have ever gotten! SONY realized these TV's were there issue and they will be paying up to $1,000 between parts and labor to fix the issue. The woman on the phone offers an alternative. She went over 3 brand new models of SONY's that are in the same size and category of my almost 4 year old TV, however, all of them are NEWER technology, full flat screen, LCD, 1080i, yada yada yada. She then says SONY is offering a great deal to us on these sets based on the issue and what we went through. I'm thinking, great $3,000 for a new TV and they take $300-$400 off, no thanks. That was not her offer. How is a $2,800 52" flat panel, LCD, 1080i Bravia for less than $850 and NO SHIPPING??????? They also have the same model in 46" in case the 52' is too big, since I had a 50" for $378!!!!!!!! I told her we would think about it, but all I am thinking about is rolled up Aces at the Taj, oh wait, wrong scenario, all I am thinking about is how can I get BOTH the 52" for downstairs and the 46" for the bedroom!!!!!!!!!

Later today we are looking and measuring the sets at Best Buy and then will make the move. I keep trying to find ways not to, but on top of everything else I will be going from a 4 year old TV with a warranty that ends 12/31/08 to a brand new set and a new warranty for a ridiculously low price.

Moral to the story, sometimes companies figure it out and get it right, and sometimes it pays off to be running late and actually picking up the phone.

1 comment:

mrotzie said...

Why don't you have Mom lie diagonally in the entertainment center? She's 52 inches long.