Friday, August 15, 2008

Every cloud has a silver lining...

or maybe it is GOLD.

I have had a horrible case of insomnia the past 3 nights. I am falling asleep fine but sometime between 1:00 and 2:30 I am waking up and I can't fall back asleep. I have been sleepwalking through the day trying to stay focused since things are so busy and I am trying to stay on top of rehab but it is tough with 2-3 hours of sleep a night. I have been crabby, irritable and a bit immature and even a tad bit selfish and demanding...

Ok, I know most of you just read that and said, yeah, you are Gil aren't you...nice joke.

Anyway, the silver lining has been the Olympics. At least I have had something captivating to watch while I can't sleep.

Here's my routine:

- wake up from something
- lie there like I might actually drift off for 10 minutes
- quietly roll out of bed, tip toe out the door, close the bedroom doors
- slip downstairs past the girls
- trip on someone's shoes on the stairs
- set up the couch (pillows, blanket, remote, water)
- fire up the TV to one of NBC's 3 or 4 Olympic Stations

from here I veg for the next 3-4 hours until it is time to shower. This morning I rewatched the Women's Gymnastics All-Around which should really be called the Girls' Gymnastics All-Around and even TiVO'd it so the girls an watch it this weekend (massive points for Daddy). I also saw the US Softball team comeback and beat Canada. Here is a ridiculous statistic - in the last 2 Olympics the US has only allowed 2 RUNS, yes that is 2 RUNS, while scoring 80 or so. Any wonder why this sport is going away after this year?

Don't think I just watch the Olympics, during commercials I flip over to watch Big Brother After Dark on Showtime 2 :)

Back to the Olympics, Phelps won his 6th Gold and 6th Gold Medal. They ran a story about his genetics and it was just fascinating and also proves that being great is a ton of hard work but really good genetics help, here is the proof:

Phelps is 6'4" tall, however, he has a wing span of someone 6'7". On top of that his lower body is comparable to someone 6'0" tall so his lower body has great burst and power off the wall. His upper body is essentially that of someone 6'8" so he has an advantage there with his stroke length. Michael has size 14 feet, so they are like flippers. From someone who has size 13 feet, I am impressed and last but not least his hands are the size of dinner plates when he spreads his fingers out so he can funnel more water than his competitors. Add all of this to his ridiculous workout regimen and relentless spirit and heart, what do you get? Maybe the greatest athlete the Olympics has ever seen.

My hats off to Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson, they were great and a lot of fun to watch and seeing their coaches enjoy the moment together was very nice.

No comments: