Tuesday, July 8, 2008

2 days to go - I met my new surgeon this morning

I liked him, which is a plus. We went over my MRI and he checked out the knee and we talked about the procedure. He went over the 2 methods he does (hamstring and cadaver) and he let me choose. I stuck with the hamstring even though he told me he had harvested a nice tendon from a 35 year old guy (if he told me he was a former NBA player and I could dunk after surgery I would have chosen that option) but I was pretty set on the hamstring.

His only concern is an area on the outside of my right knee. In the injury I banged the 2 bones out there really hard and there is a bone bruise that is still visible on the MRI. His worry is that the cartilage might not be salvageable. In that case, he would remove it and then poke holes in the bone where it was in hopes to regenerate some new cartilage. The only drawback here is that I would be off my feet for 4 weeks on crutches as opposed to 1 week and then starting rehab. There's nothing I can do except wait and see what he finds...

Sitting and waiting seems to be the order of the day as tomorrow night will last forever and I don't even get to the hospital until noon for a 2:00 surgery on Thursday! No food after midnight on Wednesday, can you guess who will wake up groggy and hungry after surgery?

If I go 'dark' her for a few days hopefully that will mean the hydrocodone is working and I'm sleeping...maybe one more quick post tomorrow if something interesting happens.

I haven't talked sports in awhile, maybe we can chat about the great championships we have seen the last few months.

Also, quick shout out to my boy Marc Wolpert who survived the 'killing fields' of Day 1 at the World Series of Poker MAIN EVENT. He's a bit of a short stack headed into his Day 2 but I'm rooting for him to survive and cash!

No comments: