Monday, July 7, 2008

Surgery week - the nerves are here

I woke up in the middle of the night (2:30) in a cold sweat realizing that this is FINALLY the week my knee gets reconstructed. It's been such a ridiculous 2 months that I have been pretty ambivalent to what is about to happen, but it all hit me last night/this morning.

I am undeniably nervous. I have a new surgeon, whom I will meet for the first time tomorrow and that has me edgy. I've watched videos of the procedure dozens of times (gotta love Google) and that has me freaked out. Ten years ago I was in the hospital, staying overnight, being monitored and 'cared for'. I am thrilled things have advanced to the point where I am coming home a few hours after surgery but I will be under general anesthesia so there is always that in the back of my mind.

All in all I am ready. I am looking forward to a full recovery and getting back to my normal life of running, golf and basketball. There's just that small part of me that with each passing day grows, call it nerves, anxiety and even a little fear.

3 comments:

markopat said...

Will keep you in my prayers Gil...You will do great and your recovery will be swift!

I BELIEVE!

mark

Steven Talbott said...

Gil- Hang in there! The nerves will pass. Kim and I are thinking about you and sending as much positive energy as we can muster your way!

Joanne said...

Hang in there -- Steve's little sister had that surgery about 15 years ago. We'll be thinking of you -- hugs and prayers for quick healing.
(Steve T's mom!)