Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this

Tomorrow would have been Jon Barkan's birthday, his 40th. If you've followed me for awhile you might recall that Jon was taken from us way too early in December. There is not a day that goes by that I still don't think about my good friend. Most days I remember all that we shared and talked about fondly. I feel his 'pull' and guidance as I deal with the rough times as well as the good.

I took the girls to see Wall-E this weekend and there was a line that struck me and made me think of Jon. In the movie, one of the characters wakes up from what I'll call a very long daze. He comes to this realization and says, "I don't want to survive, I want to LIVE". As corny as it sounds I sat in the theater and teared up. I thought of Jon and the fact that he LIVED for 39 plus years he never merely survived.

I aspire to live up to that legacy that he left.

Happy Birthday buddy, I know you will be celebrating somewhere.

No comments: