Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

Of all the non-religious holidays today is my favorite. I'm sure that being patriotic is part of it, sure I love my country, but I can't really put my finger on it. I know part of it is where I am from. Growing up in Philadelphia we see the Liberty Bell, we go to Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was signed and we learn all about Benjamin Franklin. Maybe it is that sense of 'Philly Pride' that distinguishes this day for me. For the geographically challenged, Philly sits smack dab in between DC and New York; between the power of money and the power of politics. We once were the nations capitol but I would bet less than 20% of Americans would know that. We grow up with a chip on our shoulders, fiercely proud of our hometown, defensive of our sports teams yet the first to jump on them when they are bad. I left Philly when I was 11 years old but Philly never left me. I am approaching 40 and I still say "yo and youse guys", I long for Tastykakes and cheesesteaks, I still call the beach the "shore" and I'd rather be caught dead before rooting for someone other than the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers or Sixers. My childhood heroes are Mike Schmidt, Bobby Clarke, Ron Jaworski and Dr. J. I haven't been 'home' except for my father and Grandmother's funerals but I can run the Art Museum steps like Rocky in my head, sit along the river watching the crew teams or smell the Jersey Shore as if I were on Million Dollar Pier.

The Fourth brings me back to better times, before I knew the world could turn on you in an instant or that everyone wasn't your friend. Sitting with the girls today at the parade here in Atlanta I watched that same innocence in their eyes, that same youthful exuberance at the fire trucks and candy tossers and it filled my heart for them, but also made me wonder when it will change as well, because we all know it eventually does. Until then and even through it I'll be there to savor the good times and comfort them in the tough ones.

May your Independence Day be all that it is meant to be, freeing your from whatever has you shackled.

2 comments:

markopat said...

Damn...that was well written Gil...Thanks for sharing!

mark

Unknown said...

Its all about perspective! You have a great outlook, you're daughters truly have someone amazing to look up to! Great Post!

PS...about those Philly Teams...

GO CUBS and soon to be GO BEARS!

Steve