Wednesday, July 9, 2008

28 hours to go, but let's not talk about that...

Like I said yesterday, I haven't talked about sports in awhile and a lot has happened in the past couple of months and of course I have thoughts on them:

1. Tiger, the US Open, Rocco and the 'knee' - the atmosphere was amazing. I watched the Saturday round at the beach and I could not turn it off. When Tiger chipped in on 16 and that sheepish smile crossed his face it was unforgettable. The 'theater' all weekend and into Monday was great. Rocco Mediate truly enjoyed his place in the sun and Tiger showed why he is the best in the world at what he does. I am not sure why so many people don't like him, except that some people like to see stars self-destruct or fail. For me, to watch him is a treat. We followed him for a few holes at the Masters the year and you can feel his energy and charisma all around. As for the knee, I said to my brother-in-law that Saturday that something more was going on than just cleaning out stuff. Maybe because I was laying there with the same ACL tear I could see the pain when he did certain things. The weird thing about ACL's is that you can live without them. Right now I could do 6 miles on an elliptical and probably even run a bit just as long as I don't go from side to side. The pain and issues come when the knee torques into certain positions and when that pain hits it is almost the same feeling as getting your wind knocked out of you, you literally are rendered useless for a bit. To do what Tiger did is something that can't be captured in words, his mental capacity is as great as his physical one.

2. Euro 2008 - ok, so I know Americans hate soccer, but if you had the chance to watch some of Euro 2008, especially the late rounds you might be able to fall in love with 'the beautiful game'. European soccer (football) is played with style, flair and aggressiveness for the most part. Seeing how the different nations play is interesting to watch. Sure there is not the scoring we are used to and there are far too many 'flops' for injuries but the athletic ability on display is awesome. Hopefully the U.S. can look good at the Olympics and gear up for World Cup 2010 down in South Africa.

3. Wimbledon - not a big tennis fan at all. I watched the Federer/Nadal match and it was every bit as good as any tennis match I ever saw. I remember as a kid watching Borg/McEnroe and that was fun. This years final was every bit of that and more. I followed the action Sunday morning from my Treo as we were at the Georgia Aquarium but thanks to the rain in London and the length of the match we made it home to watch the final 2 sets. Even the girls stayed glued to the TV and enjoyed the match. Speaking of the rain, it's hard to believe that next year there will be a retractable roof on that Stadium Court. Don't get me wrong, it makes sense, but it certainly will seem odd seeing the roof close and there will be no more weather delays. All that seems so much a part of the history of Wimbledon.

Three is enough for now. At least my mind wasn't on the surgery for a few minutes.

Wish me luck and I'll see you on the flip.

1 comment:

markopat said...

Gil...

Thinking about you every day and enjoying your daily posts...I am sure everything will go well in surgery and you will be up and running soon.

You the man baby!

mark