Friday, July 25, 2008

Survey - you read me so you should know

In the back of my mind I have always wanted to be a writer. As a kid I used to write short stories that were mysteries; think Encyclopedia Brown meets Stephen King. I have no idea where those old spiral notebooks are today. I wish that I was a better 'collector'.

I do have one concept that I am in love with and I even have a co-collaborator/writer all picked out. It would be a humorous look at life from different perspectives. I know it would rock but I am not sure we can get to it.

Anyway, 'tepid' reader, (Stephen King calls his readers 'avid fans', I'm a little humbler) since you are already reading me for some reason, if you think a certain book or style might be me feel free to chime in. I looked at Emory University yesterday to check on writing courses and maybe I'll start there. The last class I took was "Financial Management for Non-Financial Managers" and it was thrilling stuff. I imagine a writing course would be better.

If you think otherwise let me know as well. I have lots of things I would have liked to have done in the back of my mind and it's never to late to go to med school to become a gynecologist (just a joke friends).

2 comments:

markopat said...

I don't think you need a writing course bro...I think you just need to write what inspires you. Maybe it's just a book on the lighter side of life. I always enjoy your take on sports as a real, and knowledgable fan. Especially your detailed memories of growing up with sports...that would rock. Kind of like The Sandlot...2nd person, but Gil's take. Also, twisting in the quest to help your girls have that same passion and experience that you had. Enjoy your stuff...

Mark

Steven Talbott said...

Gil-

I agree with Mark! Your love of sports is a passion and if you are going to write, you should start there. Go get em and sign me up, I will buy a copy!